Re: How to recover after md crash during reshape?

Phil,

On 10/28/2015 9:42 AM, Phil Turmel wrote:
If you stop the array cleanly and then manually re-assemble with --update=metadata, you might get around it. (Specify all of the devices explicitly to ensure you don't get burned by v0.90's problems with last partitions.) You definitely don't want to stay on v0.90, but you may need to for now to get out of trouble. Phil

It seems that my mdadm doesn't have an --update=metadata option, which if I understand it right means I have to re-create the array with the no-bitmap option. How dangerous is that? Is it possible that things get overwritten during the re-create process in the data portion of the array?

I've read that GRUB (which is my bootloader) didn't support v1.0 superblocks for a while. It seems that 0.99 version of GRUB (which is what I have) has it, but how to make certain? I don't want to render my system un-bootable...

Can you expand a little bit on the problems of v0.90 superblocks and why upgrading is advantageous? What I've read about the differences (lifted limit of number of devices/array and 2TB per device limit) don't really apply to my case.

Thanks,
Andras