RAID6 grow unexpected results

Hi list,
    I tried growing a RAID6 array by executing the mdadm --add and
mdadm --grow --raid-devices commands. Usually that should run fine and
I can continue with pvresize.

    This time however, the actual usable raid array size did not
change even though reshape begins. In my confusion, I decided to
reboot. That didn't solve the problem (and apparently the reshape was
interrupted, but mdadm shows the grown array as clean?)

    I then executed mdadm --grow --size=max, which seemed to have
increased the array size, but apparently by too much. Now I'm getting
"attempt to access beyond end of device" errors for each of the
component drives. A new reshape operation has also begun, which I
expect would fail as the array size is now too big.

    What did I do wrong and how can I remedy this?

Liwei