Re: moving arrays from MBR part table install to GPT? Possible?

On Mon, 2015-08-17 at 15:32 +0100, Wols Lists wrote:
> On 17/08/15 07:28, David C. Rankin wrote:
> > On 08/16/2015 07:27 AM, Wols Lists wrote:
> >> If you want to add new drives, you can use GPT on them, as I say, if
> >> they're large disks, you'll need to use GPT.
> >>
> >> Sounds like it's a small system, a home system? If you get new drives,
> >> make sure they're proper raid drives, like WD Red. I've got Seagate
> >> Barracudas, which was a mistake ...
> >
> > Thank you for your response. It is my office server, but it runs on 2 1T
> > drives (Carvair Black) Have had good experiences with them. I toss at
> > least 1 barracuda in the trash every 3-4 months.
>
> Well, my experience with Barracudas has been good - they were my
> preferred choice of drive ...
>
> You saying Black rang alarm bells for me, and I've just looked on my
> favourite sales site - it says they are DESKTOP drives!
>
> YOU NEED TO CHECK THEM OUT WITH SMARTCTL!
>
> Check if they support ERC etc. The Barracudas I know don't, the Reds
> various people have said they do. If the blacks don't support it, then
> they'll let you down when you need it. You really don't want to go raid
> 5 or 6 with drives that don't support it. I want to go raid 5, which is
> why I'm gutted to discover I'll have to replace my Barracudas. imho
> they're decent serviceable drives ...

Thats not strictly true....

With a non TLER drive if a problem is found the drive might take a long
time to fix them internally and the device layer time out might be
exceeded.

With TLER the drive will always respond within, usually, 7 seconds.

I have the following embedded in a bash script:
> for x in /sys/block/sd[a-z] ; do echo 360 > $x/device/timeout ; echo -n "$x/device/timeout : " ; cat $x/device/timeout ; done
which is "/sys/block/sdX/device/timeout"

Now if the drive is TLER it will still respond in 7 seconds (either with
data, or an error - no change there), but if I should have any non-TLER
drives the device layer will now wait 360 seconds before timing out. (I
know, a long time which in most cases would cause frozen I/O, seemingly
hung... but hey, who knows the drive might eventually fix its self!)

This time out is just as true for non-raid as raid... if a non raid disk
takes longer to respond than the time out, you potentially lose the
drive... or you've just killed the last I/O commands to it and done a
hard reset. (That said, I think its up to the file system to then deal
with a timed out disk? should mdadm sit on top of the disk its
processing is "disk timed out, kick it".)