Re: [Board] dead RAID6 array on CentOS6.6 / kernel 3.19

On 2015-02-10 08:58 PM, Trevor Cordes wrote:
The big first question is was it lying when it said starting bg recon. Probably. How can it rebuild a 3+ drive failure.

If so it should be possible to really force. As in wild wacky stuff. I've done that before.

I can look at it more after the meeting our tomorrow morning.

Was the reboot a clean or a sysreq? Did it sync first?

Manually initiated by reboot(8), which is a link to telinit(8), which merely sends a signal to init(8), which actually did the reboot. No idea if /dev/md127 correctly stopped or not, syslogd stops before those messages get logged, and I was working remotely through SSH instead of to the virtual console connection. I would assume the sync(2) happened correctly; this is breakage way down at the MD layer, not the FS layer.

You're right, RAID6 can't rebuild from a 3-drive failure. I've gone back through the messages I sent, and it looks like there was no hot-spare, so I suspect this is just the default code path, where it tries to rebuild anything it can, then figures out it can't.

--
-Adam Thompson
 athompso@xxxxxxxxxxxx