Re: Wierd: Degrading while recovering raid5

Hi Kyle,

{ Convention on kernel.org lists is reply-to-all, trim replies, and
either bottom post or interleave }

On 02/10/2015 04:50 PM, Kyle Logue wrote:
> Phil:
>
> Thanks for your detailed response. That link does seem to describe my
> problem and I do understand that desktop grade drives are sub-optimal.
> It was many years ago when I first set up this array on my home
> theater pc.  Until now I had no idea about the cron job - I'll make
> sure to implement that. I am preparing to move to 6 tb disks sometime
> soon and i'll definitely go enterprise this time.
>
> Regarding the drive timeout: I understand that I need to increase it
> from 30 seconds to something larger (2+ min) but am unaware how to do
> this. Is it a kernel variable? I'll keep googling but this seems like
> it's whats going to save me.
>
> tl;dr: How do I change the drive timeout?

Put something like this in /etc/rc.local or wherever your distro suggests:

for x in /sys/block/sd[a-f]/device/timeout ; do
  echo 180 > $x
done

Where the [a-f] is adjusted to suit your needs, and only for non-raid
non-scterc drives.

Phil