Re: Split RAID: Proposal for archival RAID using incremental batch checksum

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 12:59:47 +0530 Anshuman Aggarwal
<anshuman.aggarwal@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 3 November 2014 at 11:22, NeilBrown <neilb@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 20:30:40 +0530 Anshuman Aggarwal
> > <anshuman.aggarwal@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> Would chunksize==disksize work? Wouldn't that lead to the entire
> >> parity be invalidated for any write to any of the disks (assuming md
> >> operates at a chunk level)...also please see my reply below
> >
> > Operating at a chunk level would be a very poor design choice.  md/raid5
> > operates in units of 1 page (4K).
>
> It appears that my requirement may be met by a partitionable md raid 4
> array where the partitions are all on individual underlying block
> devices not striped across the block devices. Is that currently
> possible with md raid? I dont' see how but such an enhancement could
> do all that I had outlined earlier
>
> Is this possible to implement using RAID4 and MD already?

Nearly.  RAID4 currently requires the chunk size to be a power of 2.
Rounding down the size of your drives to match that could waste nearly half
the space.  However it should work as a proof-of-concept.

RAID0 supports non-power-of-2 chunk sizes.  Doing the same thing for
RAID4/5/6 would be quite possible.

>   can the
> partitions be made to write to individual block devices such that
> parity updates don't require reading all devices?

md/raid4 will currently tries to minimize total IO requests when performing
an update, but prefer spreading the IO over more devices if the total number
of requests is the same.

So for a 4-drive RAID4, Updating a single block can be done by:
  read old data block, read parity, write data, write parity - 4 IO requests
or
  read other 2 data blocks, write data, write parity - 4 IO requests.

In this case it will prefer the second, which is not what you want.
With 5-drive RAID4, the second option will require 5 IO requests, so the first
will be chosen.
It is quite trivial to flip this default for testing

-	if (rmw < rcw && rmw > 0) {
+	if (rmw <= rcw && rmw > 0) {

If you had 5 drives, you could experiment with no code changes.
Make the chunk size the largest power of 2 that fits in the device, and then
partition to align the partitions on those boundaries.

NeilBrown