Re: Split RAID: Proposal for archival RAID using incremental batch checksum

On Mon, Nov 03, 2014 at 04:52:17PM +1100, NeilBrown wrote:
[...]
> "simple matter of programming"
> Of course there would be a limit to how much data can be buffered in memory
> before it has to be flushed out.
> If you are mostly storing movies, then they are probably too large to
> buffer.  Why not just write them out straight away?

One scenario I can envision is the following.

You've a bunch of HDDs in RAID-5/6, which are
almost always in standby (spin down).
Together, you've 2 SSDs in RAID-10.

All the write (and read, if possible) operations
are done towards the SSDs.
When the SSD RAID is X% full, the RAID-5/6 is
activated and the data *moved* (maybe copied, with
proper cache policy) there.
In case of reading (a large file), the RAID-5/6 is
activated, the file copied to the SSD RAID, and,
when finished, the HDDs put in standby again.

Of course, this is *not* a block device protocol,
it is a filesystem one.
It is the FS that must handle the caching, because
only the FS can know the file size, for example.

bye,

--

piergiorgio