Re: question about MD raid rebuild performance degradation even with speed_limit_min/speed_limit_max set.

On 10/20/2014 12:19 PM, Jason Keltz wrote:
Hi.

I'm creating a 22 x 2 TB SATA disk MD RAID10 on a new RHEL6 system. I've experimented with setting "speed_limit_min" and "speed_limit_max" kernel variables so that I get the best balance of performance during a RAID rebuild of one of the RAID1 pairs. If, for example, I set speed_limit_min AND speed_limit_max to 80000 then fail a disk when there is no other disk activity, then I do get a rebuild rate of around 80 MB/s. However, if I then start up a write intensive operation on the MD array (eg. a dd, or a mkfs on an LVM logical volume that is created on that MD), then, my write operation seems to get "full power", and my rebuild drops to around 25 MB/s. This means that the rebuild of my RAID10 disk is going to take a huge amount of time (>12 hours!!!). When I set speed_limit_min and speed_limit_max to the same value, am I not guaranteeing the rebuild speed? Is this a bug that I should be reporting to Red Hat, or a "feature"?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide...

Jason.

I would like to add that I downloaded the latest version of Ubuntu, and am running it on the same server with the same MD. When I set speed_limit_min and speed_limit_max to 80000, I was able to start two large dds on the md array, and the rebuild stuck at around 71 MB/s, which is close enough. This leads me to believe that the problem above is probably a RHEL6 issue. However, after I stopped the two dd operations, and raised both speed_limit_min and speed_limit_max to 120000, the rebuild stayed between 71-73 Mb/s for more than 10 minutes .. now it seems to be at 100 MB/s... but doesn't seem to get any higher (even though I had 120 MB/s and above on the RHEL system without any load)... Hmm.

Jason.