Re: migrate to bad block list

On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 17:18:19 +0000 Michael Ryan <mryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is there any way to migrate an existing array created with mdadm v3.2.5 and using 1.1 metadata to use a bad block list?  I'm assuming not as there wouldn't be space reserved for the list, but I need to ask.
>
> Thanks for your response!

mdadm tends to leave a fair bit of unused space on devices so that things
like a bad block list can easily be added.
If you can stop the array, then do that and re-assemble with
  --update=bbl

and you should  get a bbl added to each device.

If you cannot stop the array, but it has a bitmap, then
you can, for each device:

  mdadm /dev/mdX --fail /dev/adevice
  mdadm /dev/mdX --remove /dev/adevice
  mdadm /dev/mdX --re-add --update=bbl /dev/adevice

I think that should work.  The "bblk" is a feature of the device, not of the
whole array.  So you can add it to each device.

I haven't actually tested the above I think, so it might be safest to make an
array with loop-back devices and experiment.

NeilBrown