Re: Moving root to raid, weird raid behaviour

On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 21:13:36 +0100 Wols Lists <antlists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> I've just had a flash of inspiration, and if I'm right it's a pretty
> nasty "feature", but surely it would have bitten people before me...
>
> What's the purpose of the array name? And what's going on with multiple
> arrays all sharing the same name? This system I'm working on, all three
> arrays are called "ashdown:0".

The name is just a name.  It can be used to identify arrays and it can be
used to create a symlink in /dev/md, but it is not assumed to be unique.

> And I've just thoroughly screwed up my dev system - I've lost /home ...
> all because I did a --wipe-superblock on a DIFFERENT partition on a
> DIFFERENT array!

Oops :-(

> (Oh, and I've got the boot sequence moaning that sdd and sdd4 have very
> similar superblocks - wtf? sdd DOESN'T HAVE a superblock as far as I know!)

"mdadm -E /dev/sdd" would tell you.
If you have a 0.90 superblock on sdd4, and sdd4 starts at a multiple for 64K
from the start of the device, then that superblock will appear to exist on
sdd as well.  This is one of the several reasons that we use 1.x metadata.

> But that thing about array names, what I've been doing is creating array
> 0 (or 1), and when I reboot, it gets changed to 127 or whatever, so the
> next array I create is 0 (or 1), etc etc. There seems to be precious
> little mention of names, what they do etc, they're treated as an
> afterthought. I didn't even realise arrays *had* names, until I noticed
> a reference to "mdhome" or something like that. Does that mean I can do
> "mdadm --create /dev/mdhome ..." ?

Sure can.  or "/dev/md/home"  or just "home".

If the array gets assembled at '127' despite being created as '1', then there
is something different in the boot environment.  Presumably the array is
assembled before the host name is set, and the mdadm.conf in the initrd (I
think you said there wasn't one..) doesn't list the array with the correct
name.
Without one of those hints (the hostname is stored in the metadata so mdadm
knows if the array is "local" or "foreign" so it knows how much to trust the
name), mdadm will punt and use a number like 127.

NeilBrown