Re: raid5 missing disks during chunk size grow

Am 22.09.2014 um 14:02 schrieb Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@xxxxxxxxx>:

> On Mon, 22 Sep 2014, Martin Senebald wrote:
>
>>> Was this an idea you had that you didn't do, or did you actually execute on it?
>>
>> I did ..
>
> What made you think that was a good idea?

Good question, i can’t point to a specific source. I guess this was more the "out of options“ decision that time. (at least it looked that way)

> I have been re-writing text on the linux-raid wiki to discourage people from doing that. Wherefrom did you get the information?

And obviously i didn’t find that either. I just quickly looked over it and didn’t find it.

>> the state before the —create
>>
>> https://gist.github.com/daquan/94239614fc3b67789c9a#file-before-create-assume-clean
>
> I have no idea how to get you from there.

That was maybe what lead me to believe —create might help. I understand that recreating the array was maybe the worst thing (destroying the reshape state information of the array)
but generally speaking i think the data itself is not yet lost. The positions of the reshape is available for each disk(what i see from the examine). The Data on the md2 didn’t change while reshape was ongoing (is a lvm pvdisk and lvm was not active). But i have no clue how to bring the raid to the state of grow when the raid failed.  I don’t understand to much how the grow process for chunk size works.

>>> Under no circumstances do --create on the components.
>>
>> that sounds not so promising anymore :-/
>
> Indeed.
>>>
>>> What kernel version and mdadm version do you have?
>
> Why didn't you answer this crucial question?

I just forgot :)

	Debian 3.2.60-1+deb7u3 x86_64