Re: Status of discard support in MD RAID

On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 11:03:19 +0200 David Brown <david.brown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On 12/09/14 02:46, Chris Murphy wrote:
> >
> > On Sep 11, 2014, at 5:38 PM, Brassow Jonathan <jbrassow@xxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Neil (or anyone else),
> >>
> >> I know that trim/discard support was added back in 2012 (commit
> >> 9db90880).  However, I thought there were still issues regarding
> >> what happens when various sync operations occur.  I'd like to turn
> >> on discard support in dm-raid.c (a oneline patch) if things are in
> >> order.  I can enable any, all or none depending on your
> >> recommendation.  (I assume RAID1/10 is easier than the parity
> >> RAIDs.)
> >
> > If all the controller and drive support it then it should pass
> > through, but there's the problem whether the SSD supports
> > deterministic trim. If it doesn't, a check check > md/sync_action
> > will report mismatches in md/mismatch_cnt; and a repair will probably
> > corrupt the volume. So you can still use trim with a drive that
> > returns non-deterministic results with raid0/1/10, but you can't rely
> > on the result of md/mismatch_cnt and you can't do repair type
> > scrubs.
> >
> > For raid5/6, it's a problem to use trim if the drive returns
> > non-deterministically for trimmed blocks. I'd think that in addition
> > to DRAT being supported, it'd need to support DZAT.
> >
> > smartctl --identify=wb /dev/diskX | grep -i trim
> >

> > Chris Murphy
> >

> Would it be possible to change trim/discard commands into write zero
> blocks for some SSDs?

There is a BLKZEROOUT ioctl which writes zeros, using the 'WRITE SAME' SCSI
command if possible.

I suspect it would be quite easy to modify "fstrim" to use BLKZEROOUT
instead of BLKDISCARD.

NeilBrown