RAID456 direct I/O write performance

Hello,

Doing some benchmark tests for my patch series I discovered that
direct I/O performance for a single thread onto raid456 md seems
to be not on par with what I would have expected.

A simple 5 minute test run with md on top of /dev/ramX ramdisks
reveals:

raid5 - 3 disks - chunk 32k - 1 writer
4K random direct IO writes: 5MB/sec (five megabytes per second)

raid5 - 3 disks - chunk 32k - 1 writer
4K random direct IO writes: 600MB/sec

raid5 - 3 disks - chunk 32k - 8 writers
4K random direct IO writes: 45MB/sec

raid5 - 3 disks - chunk 32k - 8 writers
4K random direct IO writes: 800MB/sec

for comparison:

raid1 - 3 disks - 1 writer
4K random direct IO writes: 150MB/sec

That would be a 1ms penalty per one md block write (or to be
precise per 3 device I/Os). A similar I/O overhead on the three
disk RAID1 shows reasonable numbers.

A perf record of the 1 writer test gives:

    38.40%      swapper  [kernel.kallsyms]   [k] default_idle
    13.14%    md0_raid5  [kernel.kallsyms]   [k] _raw_spin_unlock_irqrestore
    13.05%      swapper  [kernel.kallsyms]   [k] tick_nohz_idle_enter
    10.01%          iot  [raid456]           [k] raid5_unplug
     9.06%      swapper  [kernel.kallsyms]   [k] tick_nohz_idle_exit
     3.39%    md0_raid5  [kernel.kallsyms]   [k] __kernel_fpu_begin
     1.67%    md0_raid5  [xor]               [k] xor_sse_2_pf64
     0.87%          iot  [kernel.kallsyms]   [k] finish_task_switch

I'm confused and clueless. Especially I cannot see where the
10% overhead in the source of raid5_unplug might come
from? Any idea from someone with better insight?

Markus

�ber das Internet versandte E-Mails können unter fremden Namen erstellt oder
manipuliert werden. Deshalb ist diese als E-Mail verschickte Nachricht keine
rechtsverbindliche Willenserklärung.

Collogia
Unternehmensberatung AG
Ubierring 11
D-50678 Köln

Vorstand:
Kadir Akin
Dr. Michael Höhnerbach

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates:
Hans Kristian Langva

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Köln
Registernummer: HRB 52 497

e-mail is strictly forbidden.

e-mails sent over the internet may have been written under a wrong name or
been manipulated. That is why this message sent as an e-mail is not a
legally binding declaration of intention.

Collogia
Unternehmensberatung AG
Ubierring 11
D-50678 Köln