Re: ext4 vs btrfs performance on SSD array

On Mon, 1 Sep 2014 18:22:22 -0700 Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 02, 2014 at 10:08:22AM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
> > Pretty obvious difference: avgrq-sz. btrfs is doing 512k IOs, ext4
> > and XFS are doing is doing 128k IOs because that's the default block
> > device readahead size.  'blockdev --setra 1024 /dev/sdd' before
> > mounting the filesystem will probably fix it.
>
> Btw, it's really getting time to make Linux storage fs work out the
> box.  There's way to many things that are stupid by default and we
> require everyone to fix up manually:
>
>  - the ridiculously low max_sectors default
>  - the very small max readahead size
>  - replacing cfq with deadline (or noop)
>  - the too small RAID5 stripe cache size
>
> and probably a few I forgot about.  It's time to make things perform
> well out of the box..

Do we still need maximums at all?
There was a time when the queue limit in the block device (or bdi) was an
important part of the write throttle strategy.  Without a queue limit, all of
memory could be consumed by memory in write-back, all queued for some device.
This wasn't healthy.

But since then the write throttling has been completely re-written.  I'm not
certain (and should check) but I suspect it doesn't depend on submit_bio
blocking when the queue is full any more.

So can we just remove the limit on max_sectors and the RAID5 stripe cache
size?  I'm certainly keen to remove the later and just use a mempool if the
limit isn't needed.
I have seen reports that a very large raid5 stripe cache size can cause
a reduction in performance.  I don't know why but I suspect it is a bug that
should be found and fixed.

Do we need max_sectors ??

NeilBrown