Re: Unable to re-add a disk after a reboot.

On 08/14/2014 11:27 PM, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
On Thu, 14 Aug 2014, Ram Ramesh wrote:

I thought write-intent bitmap was not a good idea. May be I did not research enough. This brings me to the next (probably more important) question. How do I replace a old drive that has not died without having to rebuild? If I did a dd image xfer will it accept the replacement?

If you have a fairly recent kernel and mdadm, there is mdadm --replace.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/74924/how-to-safely-replace-a-not-yet-failed-disk-in-a-linux-raid5-array

Thanks. If I may, I like to ask one related question. I have a disk that is already kicked out. Will adding a bitmap to degraded array help in -re_add the device? I doubt it, but I rather ask before trying as I am paranoid after the disk failure.

Ramesh