Re: SOLVED Booting after Debian upgrade: /dev/md5 does not exist

Phil, following all your advice, the server's mounts are coming up, RAID1 is synchronised, and /home is usable (and used); the machine is working.

While updating the initramfs, the update routine logged:

mdadm: /dev/md5 - no such device
(or something similar, I've lost the screen since a reboot)

I reverted to referring to the array as /dev/md126, in both mdadm.conf, and in fstab, and the initramfs update complained about that, as well. So I left it as that, and rebooted.

Reboot was perfect. Now all the /mdXs are up, with one labelled as /dev/md126, but that's ok, it's the same in the .conf file as in fstab. The fstab had a number of redundant entries from periods when there were other discs also in the machine, so I cleaned those up, as well.

On, now, with the rest of the Debian upgrade. Again, very many thanks for your help and patience.

regards, Ron