Re: Partitioning on top of raid mirror device questions.

On Jul 10, 2014, at 5:24 AM, Wilson Jonathan <i400s@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If we assume that raid/base disk is all hunky dory alignment wise, this
> then brings me on to partitions on top of the raid…

Since you're going to use LVM anyway, why not use LVM raid? Make each whole disk (or partition) a PV. Then at the time you create an LV, choose the raid level. This consolidates the additional partitioning, mdadm, and lvm steps all into a single lvm step.

> I may just stick with raw files but as I am in the process of upgrading
> it piqued my interest and might be worth converting to partitions, or
> possibly LVM which seems the preferred or most documented option (bit
> I'm not sure I want to add a whole new set of skills and learning curve
> at the moment).

I found qcow2 files had the best performance. And if your use case even remotely benefits from snapshotting, qcow2 performs much better than (conventional) LVM snapshotting. The new LVM thin provisioning snapshotting makes snapshots perform the same as the original LV, but the libvirt integration work to use thin pools isn't done yet, I think.

Chris Murphy