Re: writing zeros to bad sector results in persistent read error

On Jun 7, 2014, at 7:50 PM, Roger Heflin <rogerheflin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Check messages file and see if it has in the last few weeks reporting
> sectors bad.

No errors except the Current Pending sectors reported by smartd which dumps into the journal.

> Or do a dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/null read test until it hits something,
> then correct it, then continue on.

No errors.

> Or do repeated long/selective tests to see if you can find them.

No (additional) errors.

> Though, I had a seagate disk that I was able to get all of the pending
> to be fixed, I had to remove the disk from the raid as it still would
> randomly pause for 7 seconds while reading sectors that were not yet
> classified as pending.   I tried a number of things to try to get the
> disk to behave and/or replace those bad sectors, but finally gave up
> on that disk and just replaced it (out of warranty) as I could not
> ever get it to behave right.

I think this drive isn't behaving correctly, to say there are pending sectors yet passes the extended self-test.

Chris Murphy