Re: Home desktop/server RAID upgrade

Hi Mark,

What would be really useful here is a description of what you actually /want/. What do you want to do with these drives? What sort of files are they - big or small? Do you need fast access for large files? Do you need fast access for many files in parallel? How important is the data? How important is uptime? What sort of backups do you have? What will the future be like - are you making one big system to last for the foreseeable future, or do you need something that can easily be expanded? Are you looking for "fun, interesting and modern" or "boring but well-tested" solutions?

Then you need to make a list of the hardware you have, or the budget for new hardware.

Without know at least roughly what you are looking for, it's easy to end up with expensive SSDs because they are "cool", even though you might get more speed for your money with a couple of slow rust disks and a bit more ram in your system. It may be that there is no need for any sort of raid at all - perhaps one big main disk is fine, and the rest of the money spent on a backup disk (possibly external) with rsync'd copies of your data. This would mean longer downtime if your main disk failed - but it also gives some protection against user error.

And perhaps btrfs with raid1 would be the best choice.

A raid10,f2 is often the best choice for desktops or workstations with 2 or 3 hard disks, but it is not necessarily /the/ best choice.

mvh.,

David