Re: Why would a recreation cause a different number of blocks??

I'll look into this. I kind of thought about that sort
of thing and I went and installed ubuntu 12.04 which I
thought was what I started this all with but I might
have done it earlier than 12.04 and I might have used
gentoo.

are the mdadm defaults specific to mdadm version or
would ubuntu and gentoo have specified different
defaults in something like an /etc/defaults/ourmdadm.cfg?

If it's mdadm then could I just grab old copies of mdadm
sources and compile them one version after the other and
try each one?

Thanks,

- Jeff