Re: Repaired the sectors of a drive, how do I get the md to assemble and start degraded?

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014, Jeff Wiegley wrote:

How do I do this? how do I specify a command to take these 15 drives, mark two of them failed and force the assembly and start of the remaining 13 good drives (though one has probably been marked as failed in the past?)

Try to use --assemble with all working drives (not the failed ones). If it doesn't work, add --force. Do not use --create --assume-clean unless you really really know what you're doing. If you go down that route, first make sure you do mdadm --examine on all devices so you know what the superblocks contained before you erase them (which is what --create will do).

Did you try to re-add the failed drives initially? If you had been using a bitmap, they might have come online and successfully added, and then you could have run md repair and avoided data loss altogether.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx