Re: Hardware advice for software raid

I would take a close look at your motherboard's capacitors and make
sure none are bulging.

Additionally, it might be worth running a memtest overnight, although
bad memory would only be responsible if you heavy IO also came with
heavy memory usage.

I run an Intel i7 desktop board  (Model number doesn't come to mind)
w/ 6 SATA ports/drives and bought a $40 SATA3 PCIe card for my SSD and
Blueray Burner. All of this runs pretty well with a ~500W power supply

Recently I purchased a Lenovo IX4-300D NAS appliance for under $200 at
Amazon and migrated 4 drives and a bunch of data to it. It runs a
flavor of Debian on ARM and uses linux md, is pretty quiet, and only
uses a few watts. The nicest part is that if the hardware quits I know
I can stick the disks in my PC.