Re: Raid stalls during --replace and other disk activity...

> This is deliberate, and in my opinion, desirable.  Same thing happens
> when doing a check or any kind of rebuild on multiple arrays that use
> partitions on shared underlying devices.  If you don't limit the raid
> background activity, the extra seek load on the devices can severely cut
> performance, especially on spinning rust.

If I was doing a 'normal' resync, I would also agree.

But my point was this...
My raid was doing a --replace of /dev/sdf1 with /dev/sde1
It was only reading/writing from/to those two devices, not the other
disks in the raid. (i.e. /dev/sd[a-d] were not being used)
The other job I started (dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda2 bs=1M) was only
writing to /dev/sda

These jobs should be are perfectly capable of running in parallel
without slowing eachother down.

I think the logic that pauses a resync on 'related' disk activity
should treat a --replace slightly different