Re: Linux software-RAID and bootloader

Chris,

thank you for a good explanation! However, if I use
partitions(/dev/sda1, /dev/sdb2, etc) as block devices and thus write
mdadm metadata v1.2 not to gap after the MBR, but to an area from 4KB
from the beginning of the partition, then how is it ensured that I
don't overwrite anything? I mean mdadm isn't using regular OS calls
for writing data to file-system, is it? I understand that it writes
this metadata similarly to dd utility and doesn't understand if it's
overwriting any files or not? Or the other way around, if I create a
file-system(for example ext3 or ext4), then how does the mke2fs
utility know that it should not use the area at the beginning of the
partition?

regards,
Martin