Re: raid5 write latency is 10x the drive latency

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 1:29 AM, Peter Grandi <pg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> [ ... ] Which tool settings? [ ... ]
>
> As to this, how are the 8KiB writes aligned? To 1KiB? 4KiB?
> 8KiB? To something else?
They were 4Kb aligned. Looking at the code, I don't think it matters
much; if I had them them 8K aligned, it would still be required to
load/update 2 stripe-heads for each write.

> Is there any other activity on the same physical disks given
> that the RAID members seem to be LVs?
They are device-mapper devices (but not LVs), and there was no other
activity. The device-mappers lead to drives behind MegaRAID write-back
caching. (Something tells me you will find this funny at best, but as
I mentioned, I am just trying to understand how much write latency MD
can add on top of drives latencies).

> Also what's the size of those LV members of the MD set? It may
> be quite small...
Each one is 560GB. The whole MD usable space is ~2.2TB, so with a
random workload over such huge capacity, MD stripe cache cannot help
anyways. You need to load and update new stripe-heads every write.
This was the purpose of the test. In my case, I had 1024 stripe-heads,
while only up to 500 of them were active.

Alex.