Re: External USB-SATA bridge rewriting logical block sizes

On Monday, 3 March 2014 15:26:24 CEST, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
Presumably you have some md raid level with fault tolerance, since you
posted this to the linux-raid list.  Why not simply kick the drive from
the array, install it "direct" inside the chassis, repartition it the
same as the other members of the array that are direct connected to the
SATA controller, re-add the partition to the array, and rebuild.

Hi Stan, I don't run RAID on these machines. I saw a recent thread dealing with 4k drives on this ML which made me hope that this topic won't be considered OT here. Sorry if this is not appropriate -- do you happen to know a more suitable ML?

Why you prepped this drive in it with intention of moving it into the PC chassis leaves me scratching my head.

My primary machine is a T420s laptop which has a USB3 port, but no eSATA. The throughput I can get from a drive attached there is much better than what I can get via network from my other box with plenty of SATA ports, but only a VIA C7 CPU (even though it has a gigabit NIC). Expected, I guess.

Another aspect is energy saving -- the tiny power plug which comes with the USB dock eats less than the other PC.

Is this some habit you developed years ago?  Prepping a new drive
in a USB before permanently installing it in the chassis?  If so, I'd
recommend using a hot swap SATA chassis that installs in a 5.25" drive
bay instead.  They're $15-30 USD, cheaper, and more reliable, than a USB
dock, by far.

Yes, that's what I use for the direct connection. 100% passive, very reliable, appears to be robust, mechanically. However, I cannot connect that to the laptop where I do most of my work. I do have a dock, so it's very convenient and ergonomic, but the IO options are a bit limited on this model.

Cheers,
Jan

--
Trojitá, a fast Qt IMAP e-mail client -- http://trojita.flaska.net/