Need Advice regarding chunk size of RAID6 regarding HFS+

Hi everyone,

thanks again for getting me up and running again. I'm in the process of copying over my backups, but even when connecting my RAID6 via iSCSI directly via a dedicated ethernet cable using a dedicated IP-Range and Subnet, I only get write speeds of about 55MB/s and read speeds of about 68MB/s when copying a single, large file.

Having read enough about chunk sizes to make my head spin, I would like to know what chunk size you'd recommend for the following scenario:

*) The filesystem used is HFS+, and this means it's hard-coded to a 4kb block size.

*) The RAID is a RAID6 consisting of 12 HDDs (Western Digital RED, 2TB) using a chunk size of 512k (I stuck with the default).

*) Typical Usage consists of downloading material using Bittorrent and JDownloader (aka: lots of small writes) and feeding an AppleTV and Macs using iTunes (aka: Large files (Movies) being read from the RAID).

*) While the Filesystem is encrypted using LUKS, I got everything to align properly and my CPU supports AES-NI, so there is no performance penalty on this front.

*) The filesystem gets exported to a Mac Mini via iSCSI and then shared over the network using AFP and iTunes.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Florian--