Re: Storage system

On 07/02/14 15:29, Matt Garman wrote:
> FWIW, I use a program called "shred" when I'm done with a disk.  It
> makes N (default = 3) passes of writing random data to the disk, and
> an optional final pass of zeroes.  It's time-consuming to complete,
> but takes only 30 seconds to get going.  Even more convenient if you
> have one of those USB hard drive docks, so you can take the drive out
> of your system.
>
> Based on what I've read, that should be sufficient to keep anyone
> without a Dept of Defense budget from recovering you data.  The DOD
> probably already has your data anyway, so that's a non-issue.  :)

Even with the full resources of NSA, there is no way to read useful data
from a disk that has had a single pass of writing zeros.  Multi-pass
disk erasure is a case of some companies getting very rich from a myth
based on a single academic paper with theories about how /some/ data
/might/ be recoverable from overwritten disks.  It was never more than
an idea at the time, and it applies even less to modern disks.

In an experiment, researchers wrote some bits to a sample of hard drive
material, overwrote them once, then tried to read the old data.  I can't
find the reference (I really wish I could), so my figures may be a bit
off - but they are in the right ballpark.  I believe it was about 32
bits they wrote.  They managed to recover 7 bits that they were
confident were correct - after spending months with equipment such as
electron microscopes.

The most convincing argument, however, is the economic one - if it were
possible to recover erased data (that has been overwritten once) with
any reliability, then disk recovery firms would be offering such a
service.  These folks can get your photos back after disks have been
"destroyed" in fires - but they cannot get data back if it has been erased.

The only thing you can't erase are re-mapped sectors - but hopefully
those will be rare!

With SSD's it's a bit different - re-mapping and garbage collection
means that there is the possibility of some data being left on partially
filled blocks.