Re: Storage system

On 02/06/2014 01:09 PM, Piergiorgio Sartor wrote:
Hi all,

this question is only partially related to Linux MD,
but since the experts are here, I think it would not
be a big problem to ask here.

I'm considering a storage system.
This is based on HDD "rust".
It should have RAID-6, for protection agaist disk
failure(s).
It should have LUKS (or similar), in order to simplify
HDD disposal (disk that are still somehow readable will
not need to be wiped out before dumping them).

Can you use the full disk encryption mechanisms? This could (potentially) save a layer, though the down side is that you don't have control over it. We've not used it, most of our customers destroying disks tend to physically destroy them, and not trust the encryption layer.

It should have LVM, as flexible partition system.

Now, given that the HDD are always the lower layer, the
others can be combined in any order.
Six possible combinations, specifically, naming:

H: HDD
R: RAID
E: encryption
L: LVM

We can have:

HREL
HRLE
HLRE
HLER
HERL
HELR

If this is a heavily used system, you'll likely want to start with HR for performance reasons. If you can eliminate the E with FDE as noted, and if it works well, great. If not, I'd suggest putting that next. LVM isn't a fast system, so its better not to put it on a fast system. LUKS can be fast with good CPUs and reasonable controllers/disks.