Re: MD on raw device, use unallocated space anyway?

On 01/10/2014 03:38 PM, Mathias Burén wrote:
> On 10 January 2014 20:10, Wilson Jonathan <piercing_male@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> In that case the answer would be no. However if fail/remove the 3TB
>> drive, then partitioned the drive as 2TB and 1TB and then added the 2TB
>> partition back into the array then you can use the 1TB on its own...
>> just as long the "2TB" partition is the same size as the 2TB drives (or
>> slightly bigger) then it should all work nicely.
>
> Thanks, that confirms my suspicions. I wanted to avoid this (as a
> rebuild would be required) but it's the only way, I suppose.

Actually, you could move the data currently starting at sector zero to
sector 2048 (1MB) or some other start point, then partition the drive to
point at it.  If your array has a bitmap, then you could quickly
--re-add the partition to the array.

> Unless I
> upgrade to 3TB all around and gain some storage.

Can't beat that.  :-)

Phil