Re: Using Video cards (CUDA) for RAID parity

On several more RAID specific SoC (like the PowerPC 440x/460x) a XOR engine is included to speed up RAID calculations (effectively a hardware RAID engine).

I think Intel Atom CPUs were planned/got a similar engine added, but with the advance in CPU efficiencies and frequencies, these XOR engines are practically obsolete: You will barely use 5% of your CPU (if a high end CPU) for the parity calculation on RAID5.

These days it seems that the overhead from the parity calculations are so small that they become insignificant.

On the other hand this is just based from my limited experience, maybe there are some cases where we would benefit from that.

Regards,
Ben.