mdadm fails to recognise DDF partitions from Marvell MV64460 controller

Hi,

I have a Lenovo D20 server, which has a Marvel MV64460 (fake)RAID controller.

For various reasons I need to be able to dual-boot the machine with Windows, so I need to use the native RAID format (which the Windows drivers understand).

It uses DDF metadata on its partitions, which I've been using successfully with "dmraid" for some time, but I'd like to move to mdadm since the dmraid support is lacking in a number of respects (e.g. cannot create metadata; cannot rebuild arrays, etc...).

Unfortunately, though dmraid recognises the partition as DDF, mdadm does not - it always reports the disk as having no superblock.

I've done some debugging on this, and it appears that the RAID controller's BIOS departs from the DDF spec in a couple of (minor) ways - and so because mdadm is stricter in its checks than dmraid, it refuses to recognise the disk.

I think I can come up with a patch to work around this - should I do that and submit it (and if so, where should I send it)? Or would it be better to describe the issues I've found in more detail first?

Regards,

Patrick