RAID-0/5/6 performances

Hi all,

I've a system, with an LSI 2308 SAS controller
and 5 2.5" HDD attached.
Each HDD can do around 100MB/sec read/write.
This was tested will all HDDs in parallel, to
make sure the controller can sustain them.
Single disk has same performance.

I was testing RAID 0/5/6 perfomances and I found
something I could not clearly understand.

The test was done with "dd", I wanted to know the
maximum possible performance.
Specifically, for reading:

dd if=/dev/md127 of=/dev/null bs=4k

For writing:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/md127 bs=4k conv=fdatasync

Note than large block size did not change the
results. I guess the page size is quite optimal.

I tested each RAID with 4 and 5 HDDs, with chunk
size of 512k, 64k and 16k.
The "stripe_cache_size" was set to the max 32768.

The results were observed with "iostat -k 5",
taking care to consider variations and ramp up.

The table, with MB/sec, the number are the HDDs
the "r" is read, "w" is write:

chunk RAID 4r  4w  5r  5w
512k   0   400 400 500 500
512k   5   260 300 360 400
512k   6    55 180 100 290

 64k   0   400 400 440 500
 64k   5   150 300 160 400
 64k   6   100 180 140 290

 16k   0   380 400 350 500
 16k   5   100 300 130 390
 16k   6    80 180 100 290

Now, RAID-0/5 seem to perform as expected,
depending on the number of HDDs. Expecially
with large chunk size.
Write performances are not a problem, even
if those are CPU intensive, with parity RAID.
RAID-0/5 do not react well with small chunk.
RAID-6, on the other hand, seems to have an
idea of its own.
First of all, it does not seem to respect
proportionality. I would think a 4 HDDs
RAID-6 should more or less read as fast as
2 HDDs. I can understand some loss, due to
the parity skip, but not so much. In fact it
improves with smaller chunk.
With 5 HDDs, I would expect something better
than 100MB/sec.

Any idea on this? Am I doing something wrong?
Some suggestion on tuning something in order
to try to improve RAID-6?

Thanks,

bye,

--