Re: dm-raid45?

On 11/26/2013 06:32 PM, Dmitrijs Ledkovs wrote:
> On 26 November 2013 18:07, David F. <df7729@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> As a workaround to the mdadm issue with the spare drive we were going
>> to have them activate DMRAID but that ends up with the information
>> below.  Specifically something about dm-raid45 but we had to drop that
>> because it no longer compiles in the latest kernels and we couldn't
>> find an update that would.   Any ideas?  (still working on getting the
>> dump - the fact that tmpfs doesn't support sparse files makes having
>> the customer create the dump via a script we provide a bit more
>> involved):
>>

> Ubuntu kernels still somewhat maintain and have dm-raid-45 module.
>
> Install linux-image-extra-virtual package which will pull in correct
> versioned packaged with extra modules.
>
> It is planned however to migrate off & drop dm-raid-45 module soon.
>
> ps. latest version I can find is
> 3.8.0-22-generic/kernel/ubuntu/dm-raid4-5/dm-raid45.ko
>
> Regards,
>
> Dmitrijs.

As a follow up to this general subject, what will replace the dm-raid45
module after it is dropped?

I guess another way to ask that question is what functionality does the
dm-raid45 module support that is not currently supported by the dm-raid
module, which has aliases to dm-raid1, dm-raid4, dm-raid5, dmraid6, and
dm-raid10.

And is it already possible now (in recent kernels such as 3.11.x and
later) to use the dm-raid module in place of dm-raid45?