Re: 3.12: raid-1 mismatch_cnt question

NeilBrown> On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 16:23:49 -0500 "John Stoffel" <john@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I thought you could also get a mis-match count from open mmap'd files,
>> which aren't completely written to one disk or another?

NeilBrown> The only cause I can imagine for the mismatch count
NeilBrown> increasing is for a page of memory to be change while it is
NeilBrown> being written out (so each device sees a different value)
NeilBrown> and then for the page to be invalidated (so the dirty page
NeilBrown> never gets written out again).

NeilBrown> The only way to change a page while it is being written out
NeilBrown> is (I think) through memory mapping (though this could have
NeilBrown> change, "write" might achieve it).

NeilBrown> But normally if you change a memory mapped page while it is
NeilBrown> being written it will be marked 'dirty' and so will be
NeilBrown> written out again - the same to both devices.

NeilBrown> You could possibly modify a mem-mapped file, and then
NeilBrown> delete it before the latest changes were written, but think
NeilBrown> that would be unlikely to do on purpose.

NeilBrown> Swap is the most likely cause.  If some pages in a process
NeilBrown> were written out and changed during the writeout, and then
NeilBrown> the process was killed, you could easily get a mismatch
NeilBrown> persisting.

I think it is swap in my case, it's a RHEL 5.6 box being used to host
VNC sessions for my users.  They do weekly checks on the mirrored
disks, and I think I get mis-match counts because swap is on MD too.

John