Re: 4 drive raid 5 array with 2 drives down

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013, Eric Smith wrote:

I had a functional 4 drive Raid5 array. I lost one drive called support to warranty it and in the time that it was coming to me a second drive died also.

Use ddrescue to try to get data out of the failed drives. If you have 2 out of 4 drives that are totally dead and no data can be taken from them, then you basically have 1/3 of your data completely gone, spread over the entire filesystem. You won't be able to recover much more than sporadic file contents...

If indeed the drives are not totally dead and you can get most of the data out using ddrescue, then there is more hope. Do this then, and post new information to the list depending on how much data you were able to extract.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx