Re: Broken array, trying to assemble enough to copy data off

On 10/10/13 08:44, Phil Turmel wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> On 10/09/2013 07:41 PM, Digimer wrote:
>> I forgot to add the smartctl output;
>>
>> /dev/sdb: http://fpaste.org/45627/13813614/
>> /dev/sdc: http://fpaste.org/45628/38136150/
>> /dev/sdd: http://fpaste.org/45630/36151813/
>> /dev/sde: http://fpaste.org/45632/36154613/
>>
>> (sorry for the top post, worried this would have gotten lost below)
>
> [You could/should have just trimmed the material below.]
>
> Anyways, excellent report.
>
> According to the mdadm -E data, you should only need to perform a forced
> assembly, like so:
>
> mdadm --stop /dev/md1
> mdadm --assemble --force /dev/md1 /dev/sd[bcde]2
>
> Your drives all have the same event counts, suggesting that they were
> all dieing within milliseconds of each other.  One of them lived long
> enough to record the another's failure, but not to bump the event count.
>  The dead machine almost certainly suffered a catastrophic hardware failure.
>
> Presuming the forced assembly works, you should plan on tossing these
> drives after you get your data... they have dangerously high relocation
> counts and cannot be trusted.  (Fairly typical for consumer drives
> approaching 30k hours.)
>
> HTH,
>
> Phil

Ya, I have no plan at all to use these drives or the server they came
from anymore. In fact, they've already been replaced. :)

I tried the --assemble --force (and --assemble --force --run) without
success. It fails saying that sde2 thinks sdb2 has failed, leaving two
dead members. If I try to start with just sd[bcd], it says that it has
two drives and one spare, so still refuses to start.

Any other options/ideas? I'm not in any rush, so I am happy to test things.

Cheers!

digimer

--
Digimer