Re: RAID10 scrub

On 1 October 2013 21:42, Mark Keisler <mark@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is scrub (sync) needed on RAID10?  I've noticed in mdadm monitor logs that
> it seems to re-allocate data destined for bad blocks on the fly anyway.
>  Maybe I don't quite understand what the scrub does, though :)
> I ran it for the first time on my RAID last night anyway to make sure all
> way well since I am failing out a dying disk for replacement today.
> --
> Mark Keisler
> "I have been here. Now I am going there. Where? ... No, I won't have it!"
> --

"Scrubbing" (or verifying the array consistency) is not /required/ on
any array, but it's recommended, if you care about your data. So yeah,
why not? For a RAID10 I suppose it just checks that the copies in the
2 sub arrays are identical.
Another thing to do in addition to scrubbing would be extended SMART
self-tests (smartctl -t long).

Mathias