Re: Best configuration for bcache/md cache or other cache using ssd

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 8:39 AM, Drew <drew.kay@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Forwarded as only I got the reply.

As the OP doesn't have a workload I throw one out as I've been
considering doing something similar for a few months.

I work at home on a Gentoo Linux box. (i980x, 24GB, five 500GB RE3
drives configured as a 1.4GB RAID6.) Mostly I work in Windows writing
software for trading, and then also trading. When trading I have a
moderate amount of real-time data arriving and being processed by 3
Windows VMs. 2 VMs are Virtualbox Win7 machines, the 3rd is a VMWare
XP machine. RAID6 was chosen as I have a lot of DVD video stored here
as a backup and wanted extra physical security. I sometimes play video
on the machine, but mostly 1TB of the RAID is just storage. The VMs
account for maybe 200GB of disk space.

My 'issue' with the machine is there are a lot of lags in (I think)
the RAID6 subsystem when the machine gets loaded up with a lot of
things going on in the VMs. It gets a _lot_ worse if maybe I'm ripping
a DVD in Gentoo.

I was considering using dm-cache with either a single SSD of a two SSD
RAID1. Will it help? MY worry looking in the dm-cache forums are a
number of people complaining that using dm-cache led to their disk
subsystem being corrupted.

This is likely not enough info for a quantitative answer. I'm willing
to collect some data if pointed toward tools that don't require a PhD
to run them.

Cheers,
Mark