Re: write-refresh md array (feature request)

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 09:32:23 -0300 Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
<hmh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Sep 2013, Dan Williams wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 11:19 AM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
> > <hmh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > (please CC me on replies).
> > > I've been in several situations where it would have been helpful to be able
> > > to refresh weak sectors by rewriting the whole md raid component device,
> > > without the need to increase array failure risk through a fail+remove+add
> > > cycle for the component device.
> > >
> > > How difficult would it be to implement a "refresh" as a Linux md driver
> > > sync_action, pigging back on "check" ?
> > >
> > > Are there any drawbacks to write-refreshing component devices?
> > >

> > Why is "check" insufficient?  If it trips over any bad sectors it will
> > re-write them.
>
> The idea is to rewrite the sector _before_ it goes bad.
>
> Consumer SATA HDDs nowadays not only apparently fail to properly remap
> sectors because they don't track anymore that some sectors in that subtrack
> were reported uncorrect a number of times (and thus are "weak").  They also
> appear to not write-refresh sectors that required ECC correction, except
> maybe during an offline SMART test routine.

My view on this is that it has nothing to do with RAID.  If it is valuable to
"write-refresh" a device in a RAID array, then it would equally make sense to
write-refresh a device that wasn't in a RAID array.

So any solution to this should try to address the whole problem.

NeilBrown