Re: write-refresh md array (feature request)

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 5:37 AM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
<hmh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Sep 2013, CoolCold wrote:
>> You can achieve this with a bit inderect way - there are sync_min and
>> sync_max params which can be used to operate on certain borders of array,
>> more info
>> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/md.txt?id=refs/tags/v3.11#n579.
>
> Doesn't do anything close to what I requested.  Neither check nor repair
> will re-write sectors that appear to be good (and are actually returning the
> correct data after ECC correction by the component device, but will
> eventually fail if not rewritten to soon).

Sounds like a modification of the "replace" code to allow replacing
the with self-same drive. Something like "want_refresh" would mark the
drive as a soft replacement to mark that slot to be re-written.  But
if the drive is expected to be "weak" you could just rotate in a spare
drive without degrading the array with the existing code.