Re: raid6 array assembled from 11 drives and 2 spares - not enough to start the array

Yes I forgot to mention that I already did check the smart status on
each drive which is the reason I went and checked the sata cables.

My controllers might be playing tricks on me, as I have noticed a
devices dropping out of the arrays before without any reasons I could
find. I might have to get some different controllers and maybe
bigger/fewer drives soon. Rebuilding a 14 drive array is slow and
dangerous.
Is there any rule of thumb about how many drives you should have
maximum in a raid5/raid6 array?

Thanks for the tip about /dev/sd[abc]1, somehow you forget all of
those things when you are stressed out of loosing all your data. :)

Garðar Arnarsson
kerfisstjóri Giraffi sf.
gardar@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://gardar.giraffi.net