Re: Problem halting raid 1

Hi Miguel,

[Top posting repaired. Please don't do that.]
[linux-raid added back to CC:.  Use reply-to-all on kernel.org lists.]

http://blogging.dragon.org.uk/index.php/mini-howtos/howto-remove-raid-arrays

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mdadm

Those two are wrong.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/RAID#Removing_device.2C_stop_using_the_array

This one is correct.

> In the mdadm man page, for the --stop option, it says: "deactivate
> array, releasing all resources."
> It doesn't say that the array is removed or deleted.

Because the array still exists on the disks.  It is just "turned off".

> As for the md superblock zeroing, I have tried to stop, remove and
> zero the superblock of an individual device. But afterwards the
> device's filesystem appears as unknown and I cannot mount it to access
> the data.
>
> So, accepting things as they are, how can I see the data in a device
> which pertained to an array without creating a degraded array with it?

You can't, except in one special case.

The special case is when you had a simple mirror and you now want to use
one of its members by itself (permanently).  If the raid used version
0.9 or version 1.0 metadata, just zeroing the metadata will do what you
want (with some wasted space at the end of the partition).

If the raid used version 1.1 or 1.2 metadata, the contents of the array
are offset from the start of the array member.  You have to shift the
data to the start of the partition, or change the partition definition
to start at the right spot.

HTH,

Phil