Re: [patch v3 1/5] raid5: make release_stripe lockless

Hello, Shaohua.

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 05:50:39PM +0800, Shaohua Li wrote:
> release_stripe still has big lock contention. We just add the stripe to a llist
> without taking device_lock. We let the raid5d thread to do the real stripe
> release, which must hold device_lock anyway. In this way, release_stripe
> doesn't hold any locks.
>
> The side effect is the released stripes order is changed. But sounds not a big
> deal, stripes are never handled in order. And I thought block layer can already
> do nice request merge, which means order isn't that important.

I wrote this before but the order of requests is an important
information to the elevator and the existing elevators will behave
less effectively if you make the relative order and timing of
processed IOs deviate from the original issuer's and the effect could
be very noticeable depending on the workload and stacking drivers
should always strive to preserve as much IO characteristics.

It doesn't make the changes unacceptable or anything but the patch
description is quite misleading.  It'd be nice if you at least can
note that the implemented behavior is far from optimal in the comment
and description.

Thanks.

--
tejun