Re: How does md(adm) work with fake-raid ?

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 8:52 PM, Martin Wilck <mwilck@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Yes, but my question is about how md cooperate with the BIOS in this case ?
>
> Not sure what you mean. When Linux runs, with or without MD, no BIOS
> code is ever executed.

Ok I think I'm missing something more fundamental here.

For exemple when writing to the disk, each write goes into the 2 disks
in case of RAID1. When Linux runs, is it either DM or MD (and
necessarily one of them) that does this work ?

For windows case, does it relies on a driver that is provided by the
RAID manufacturer ?

> The only way of communication between BIOS and MD is the meta data. When
> you create an array in your BIOS setup tool, The BIOS will write the
> meta data. MD will read it, and when it's done, it will re-write it
> (usually unchanged, unless a disk failure occurs, but there are some
> fields such as sequential numbers and time stamps that change every time
> the meta data is written). The BIOS will read this back the next time
> your system boots.
>
>> Are there any procedures described out there that I could follow to
>> test MD DFF ?
>
> Not really. Play around, test various RAID levels etc, whatever your
> fake RAID supports. If you have a Linux or Windows driver for your fake
> raid, check if it correctly detects your setup after MD had control.
>
> Note that RAID arrays *created* by MD (with mdadm -C) will most probably
> not be accepted by the BIOS (it will consider them "foreign
> configurations" and not import them).

Thanks for those information.
--
Francis