Re: How does md(adm) work with fake-raid ?

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 11:08 PM, Stefan /*St0fF*/ Hübner
<st0ff.npl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Am 18.07.2013 22:37, schrieb Francis Moreau:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Sorry if the question is stupid but I'm a rookie in md things, but I'd
>> like to understand the big picture here.
>
> Probably a bit of good googling would have given your answers right away.

Not really. You think such because you might have missed the point of
my question which is about how does coexists with bios raid.

>> I've been told to use mdadm whenever possible even if my raid is
>> handled by the bios (fake raid) which use the ddf metadata format.
>> (unfortunately it seems that I can't desactive this fake raid in
>> favour of linux soft raid). It's RAID1 BTW.
>
> There are two types of fakeraid that I know of.  Intel and MegaRAID/LSI
> emulation.  Those are NOT handled by the BIOS, the boot process is
> handled by the special op-rom integrated into the BIOS.

Well what's the difference ? Of course a bios is not a piece of
hardware with a dedicated cpu. So when I said it's handled by the
bios, I obviously meant that there's a software stored in the firmware
which is executed by my the processor and this soft can be configured
through the bios.

>  After any
> kernel is booted, all RAID processing shall be done by the respective
> driver.  And none use DDF afaik.  Intel uses its own metadata format
> (referred to as IMSM), LSI also uses its own format (those fakeraid
> drives can be attached to f.e. a MegaRAID 9266 controller and your RAID
> is then recognized - those 9266 f.e. can create DDF arrays).

You probably have missed a lot more.

Bye,
--
Francis