Re: Extending an existing RAID (10) array

On Wed, 03 Jul 2013 21:04:00 +0200 cvb@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi, I have a short and hopefully simple question: On
>
> https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Growing
>
> there is a section on expanding existing partitions. Does the procedure
> described there also apply to RAID 10 arrays?
>
> I'm asking, because the section above says explicitly that it only
> applies to RAID level 1/4/5/6 arrays. The section on extending
> partitions is silent on that point...
>
> I have a RAID 10 (software) array here, consisting of 4 disks. As one
> of the disks is a bit flaky, I'm thinking of replacing the (all) disks,
> maybe with bigger ones - if that should work.

There are two dimensions for growing an array - it is good to be explicit.
I think you are just talking about making the devices bigger without
increasing the number of devices.
This possible for RAID10 as long as it uses a 'near' or 'offset' layout.  It
is not support for 'far' layout RAID10.

NeilBrown