Re: Is this expected RAID10 performance?

Hello Ric,

I was not intending to reply in this thread, for reasons I gave at the
end of my previous post. However, since it is you who are responding
to me, and I have a great deal of respect for you, I don't want to
ignore this.

Firstly, let me say that I do not care about winning an argument,
here.  What I've said, I felt I should say. And it is based upon my
best understanding of the situation, and my own experiences as an
admin. If my statements seemed overly strong, then... well... I've
found "Strong Opinions, Loosely Held" to be a good strategy for
learning things I might not otherwise have discovered.

I'm not a particular advocate or detractor for/against any particular
filesystem. But I do strongly believe in discussing the relative
advantages and disadvantaged, and in particular benefits and risks of
filesystems and filesystem features frankly and honestly. The
particular risks of a filesystem or feature should get have equal
visibility to prospective users as to the benefits. There's no denying
the XFS has a mystique. It's something I've noticed since that day in
1994 that the old SGI released the code under GPLv2. And if you did
Google for "ZFS and zeroes" you surely noticed that many of the
reports of trouble came from people who had no business using XFS in
their environment in first place. And often based upon erroneous and
incomplete information. And mixed in with those, there were folks who
really thought they'd done their homework and still got bitten by one
of the relative risks of "advanced and modern performance features". I
believe that it is especially important for advocates of a filesystem
to be forthright, honest, and frank about the relative risks. As doing
otherwise hurts, in the long run, the reputation of the filesystem
being advocated.

Saying that "you can lose data with any filesystem" is true... but
evasive, and misses the point. One could say that speeding down the
interstate at 100mph on a motorcycle without a helmet isn't any more
dangerous than driving a sedan with a "Five Star" safety rating at the
speed limit, since after all, it's possible for people in the sedan to
die in a crash, and there are even examples of this having happened.
But that doesn't really address the issue in a constructive and honest
way.

But enough of that. I've already said everything that I feel I'm
ethically bound to say on that topic. And I'm interested in your
thoughts on the topic of delayed allocation and languages which either
don't support the concept of fsync, or in which the capability it
little known and/or seldom used. e.g. Python. It does support the
concept of fsync. But that's almost never talked about in Python
circles. (At least to my knowledge.) The function is not a 1st class
player. But fsync() does exist, buried in the "os" module of the
standard library alongside dirname(), basename(), copy(), etc. My
distro of choice is Scientific Linux 6.4. (Essentially RHEL 6.4.) And
a quick find/fgrep doesn't reveal any usage of fsync at all in any of
the ".py" files which ship with the distro. Perhaps the Python VM
invokes it automatically? Strace says no. And this is in an enterprise
distro which clearly states in its Administrator Manual sections on
Ext4 & XFS that you *must* use fsync to avoid losing data. I haven't
checked Ruby or Perl, but I think it's a pretty good guess that I'd
find the same thing.

However, I'd like to talk (and get your thoughts) about another
language that doesn't support the concept of fsync. One that still
maintains a surprising presence even today, particularly in
government, but rarely gets talked about: COBOL. At a number of my
sites, I have COBOL C/ISAM files to deal with. And at new sites that I
take on, a common issue is that the filesystems have been mounted at
the ext4 defaults (with delayed allocation turned on) and that the
business has experienced data loss after an unexpected power loss, UPS
failure, etc. (In fact *every* time I've seen this configuration and
event I've observed data loss. The customer often just tacitly assumes
this is just a flaw in the way Linux works. My first action is to
mount nodelalloc, and this seems to do a great job of preventing
future problems. In a recent event (last week) the Point of Sale line
item file on a server was so badly corrupted that the C/ISAM rebuild
utility could not rebuild it at all. Since this was new (and
important) data which was not recoverable from the nightly backup, it
involved 2 days worth of re-entering the data and then figuring out
how to merge it with the PS data which had occurred during the
intervening time.

Is this level of corruption expected behavior for delayed allocation?
Or have I hit a bug that needs to be reported to the ext4 guys? Should
delayed allocation be the default in an enterprise distribution which
does not, itself, make proper use of fsync? Should the risks of
delayed allocation be made more salient than they are to people who
upgrade from say, RHEL5 to RHEL6? Should options which trade data
integrity guarantees for performance be the defaults in any case? As
an admin, I don't care about benchmark numbers. But I care very much
about the issue of data endangerment "by default".

SIncerely,
Steve Bergman

P.S I very much enjoyed that "Future of Red Hat Enterprise Linux"
event from Red Hat Summit 2012. While I don't necessarily advocate for
any particular filesystem, I do find the general topic exciting. In
fact, the entire suite of presentations was engaging and informative.