Re: Enlarging device of linear array

On Jun 8, 2013, at 10:31 PM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 6/8/2013 1:18 PM, Ramon Hofer wrote:
>> Dear Stan and linux-raid list
>
> Hi Ramon.
>
>> My home server with a linear raid (md0) containing three raid5 (md1,
>> md2, md3) is still working wonderfully. Thanks again Stan!
>
> Glad to hear it. :)
>
> <snip>
>> Is this possible and a good idea?
>
> No, it is not possible to expand a linear array this way.
>> If in some years one of the oldest 1.5 TB disks of md2 or any other
>> fails, I could replace it with a bigger one and at the same time the
>> other disks of the same device as well and get additional space?
>
> You can use the extra capacity, but not in the way you're considering.
> This is due to the characteristics of a linear array.
>
> You have been using raw disks, not partitions.  So when you replace a
> dead drive you will need to create a partition on the replacement that
> is the same size or a few sectors larger than the disk being replaced.
> You will then use this partition as the replacement device in the array
> rebuild.  After you have replaced all 4 drives in this manner, you will
> create a 2nd partition in the free space on each.  You will then create
> another RAID5 array from these 4 partitions and add it just as you did
> the other RAID5s.

A raid0 can be converted to a degraded raid4 - after that, is it not possible to expand it to use the remaining space then convert back to raid0?  I think I tested this a while back and it worked, but you would probably want to test it yourself first...

I still think you'd be better off converting things to raid6 though.... larger drives + raid6 and you could still increase capacity too...

Sam