Re: mdadm vs zfs for home server?

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 09:02:08PM +0200, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> Short answer: ZFS will guarantee the data is free of errors, but
> MD will give you the flexibility of moving between RAID levels and
> adding drives to existing RAIDs. I have been working with ZFS with
> some 400TB of storage, and I considered using it for my home
> server, but chose MD because of the flexibility in there. ZFS
> requires you to plan your setup. It allows you to add VDEVs, but
> data isn't balanced over the VDEVs. That will required block
> pointer rewrite, something that's been talked about for at least
> four years, but yet hasn't surfaced.

In the raid-10 case, does Linux MD automatically "reblance" the
data?  I could be wrong, but my understanding is that it will let
you grow the array, but in the same way that ZFS would (for raid10
anyway): the extra space is there, but not striped across the
original disks.

If that's true, then it somewhat "evens the score" for me, as I'm
leaning towards raid-10.